While I absolutely adore toast, I definitely have a special place in my heart for waffles. If I have to choose between waffles and pancakes, waffles definitely win. I love the crispiness of the edges, and the way they cradle the syrup in their crevices.
If you love waffles as much as I do, then you'll be thrilled to hear that today is International Waffle Day. Want to learn more about waffles? Take our quiz! Ready?
- Where did International Waffle Day originate?
- Correct Answer: Sweden
International Waffle Day originated in Sweden. It occurs nine months before Christmas, and is used to commemorate the first day of Spring.
- What language is the word waffle derived from?
- Correct Answer: Dutch
Waffle is derived from the Dutch word wafel
- What's the main difference between Belgian waffles and American waffles?
- Correct Answer: How they're leavened
American waffles are leavened with baking powder, whereas Belgian waffles are leavened with yeast.
- During the 18th century, when there was a shortage of breads, what were waffles commonly made with?
- Correct Answer: Potatoes
During this time, waffles were commonly made with mashed potatoes.
- Since 1955 US restaurant chain Waffle House has served approximately how many waffles?
- Correct Answer: 500 million
Since 1955 they have served nearly 500 million waffles.