There are countless things to be grateful for, but let's face it: the best way to be thankful on Turkey Day is to kick back, bond, and have a drink (or three) with loved ones. To take Thanksgiving entertaining to the next level, match your courses with deserving wines, and start off with cocktail hour. Don't forget to refill your ice trays, because we've got 10 tipples that are guaranteed to be magnificent with your meal.
This year, get a head start on holiday shopping for those who are often extratricky to shop for: the minimalist-design enthusiasts. We've rounded up our favorite cooking and bar gear — from everyday equipment to chic entertaining pieces — that's sure to satisfy these tough customers with solid design and the requisite lack of fluff and frill.
- Lessons learned from Martha Stewart's poor food porn — Grub Street
- Winners of the 2013 Eater Awards — Eater
- The best frozen Thanksgiving dinners — HuffPost Taste
- The technique for perfect rugelach — America's Test Kitchen Feed
- Create a gourmet Thanksgiving at home — Zagat
- Roll on olive oil like lip gloss for bread — Delish
- Spicy coconut peanut popcorn — Food52
- An Instagram account for the worst food photos ever posted — Buzzfeed Food
- Shop the perfect gifts for your favorite guys — Fashion
- Fix sniffles with soothing shower disks — Smart Living
- Bookmark these Cyber Monday beauty deals now — Beauty
- Turn apples into delicious pancakes — Fitness
- Get a head start on decorating for the holidays — Home
- Learn about the gay marriage debate within the Cheney family — Celebrity & News
- Why was Christian Bale "concerned" about Jennifer Lawrence? — Entertainment
- Take impressive holiday-card photos with these 5 tips — Tech
- Avoid the dreaded Thanksgiving oven jam like a pro — Food
- Video: Discover how 1 start-up is saving book binding from extinction — Tech
- Think positive thanks to inspirational quotes on Instagram — Love & Sex
- Plan the perfect college visit for your child — Moms
Just because Summer is long gone doesn't mean you have to stop enjoying sangria. Depending on the ingredients you employ, the wine-based punch can be sipped all year round. Instead of using warm-weather fruits like strawberries and peaches, this sangria is infused with Fall's most woody herb, sage. The recipe is simple, but the resulting drink is complex and earthy, perfect for sipping in front of a roaring fire. Honey adds a subtle sweetness and the sage makes this concoction an ideal pairing for any autumnal dinner. Want the easy recipe? Keep reading.
Are apple cores a myth? Foodbeast thinks so — its new video on how to eat an apple like a boss has the entire apple-a-day-eating universe talking. The premise? Eating an apple from the bottom up eliminates the issue of the dreaded apple "core" and helps prevent waste.
We have to admit: we were skeptical. After all, the core of an apple is tougher and thicker, and there are seeds, stems, and other not-so-appetizing apple parts. Would this breakthrough apple-eating technique really work? We put the new method to the test, eating the apple bottom to top, "core" and all, as instructed. See the results.
Thanksgiving typically involves appetizers, a cornucopia of vegetables cooked every which way, a huge turkey, stuffing, and inevitably some kind of pie. Factor in the reality that most of these items require oven cooking, and you might just have a stressful oven situation on your hands.
So how does one avoid an oven jam while making sure all of the day's dishes are done at the same time? The key is to keep in mind how much oven space there is to work with and to adjust the menu accordingly. Here are a few more pointers.
Whether you're attending a white elephant party or looking for the perfect gift for your friend with a raging sense of humor, these goofy gag gifts will end your search. From a tongue-in-cheek Paula Deen-branded "Butter Y'all" ornament to a box of candy canes that are more spicy than sweet, these gifts have got your shopping list covered and then some.
- Surprise! Pumpkin spice flavoring contains zero pumpkin — Eater
- "Bacon cubes" on this burger are thicker than the patty — Delish
- Gifts fit for foodies — Zagat
- Stop making these Thanksgiving mistakes — HuffPost Food
- Turkey the right way, according to Adam Rapoport of Bon Appétit — Food52
- 15 NYC shops with Thanksgiving-inspired sandwiches — Grub Street
- The ultimate guide to cured meats — America's Test Kitchen Feed
- Doritos bread?! — Yahoo! Shine