- Did you double check your baking soda and powder? There are easy hot-water tests you can do to see if the powders are still "alive" and reactionary. No bubbles means your baking soda/powder is expired and should be replaced with new, unopened cans.
- Did you read the recipe closely? Measuring a heavy hand of baking soda or overmixing the dough can lead to the cake sinking. Baking is a science, and to achieve accurate results, follow the recipe exactly.
- Did you open and close the oven door? Opening the oven door while baking lets in cold air that makes the cake sink. If you don't have a window to watch your cake grow, set a timer, and keep your hands away from the door until the timer goes off.
- Sriracha oatmeal: the hottest new breakfast trend — HuffPost Taste
- Watch Alinea take over Eleven Madison Park, and vice versa — Grub Street New York
- 20 awesome Winter foodie destinations — Zagat
- This is why Guy Fieri wears backward sunglasses — Eater
- Ice cream that can get you drunk — Delish
- Miniature cocktails: the next big thing? — Wall Street Journal
- Why Michael Symon loves being on The Chew — The Braiser
- Alton Brown on the future of recipe writing — Serious Eats
There’s nothing like the warm, fuzzy feeling you get when passing out gifts to the ones you love. Except maybe the incredible, thrilling rush that comes from scoring those gifts during the most invigorating shopping season of all!
This year, our friends at T.J.Maxx, Marshalls, and HomeGoods are giving you more reasons than ever to celebrate your holiday shopping victories — by creating a series of fun and inspiring gifting “missions” that you can tackle weekly for a new chance to win!
Readers as well as our favorite lifestyle bloggers will be invited to participate in five missions across T.J.Maxx, Marshalls, and HomeGoods stores, then simply share their experience via Twitter using the hashtag #TheGifter. Each week, one winner will be chosen to receive a $500 gift card! You can also visit #TheGifter holiday gifting hub to explore an ever-evolving gallery of amazing gifts at amazing values — check back often for fresh inspiration and fun ideas.
Make this holiday shopping season your most triumphant yet! The missions are already under way, so start making your gifting list, and click here for more details.
A while back, we tried Heinz's balsamic ketchup and were not that impressed, but we wondered how the new, limited-edition Heinz Tomato Ketchup Blended With Real Jalapeño ($5) would fare. It's available for early purchase via Heinz's Facebook page until Dec. 7 and will be released in stores early next year. Should you dip your fries into this spicy condiment or stick to the original? Find out what our taste-testers thought.
If you love escaping chilly Fall weather with a hot cup of apple cider, then savor that flavor in a cupcake from pastrydiva.Apple cider starts the holiday; once you begin to see gallons of it in the food stores, you can't help but start thinking of the festivities.
For the whole story and the recipe, check out her blog, and then be sure to share your food photos through our Savory Sights community group or by starting your own blog. If you're on Instagram, then chime in on the conversation with the hashtag #savorysight.
- Geek is hoping for Hobbit-related gadgets under the tree
- Lil's loving kid-friendly kitchen finds
- Buzz is excited for Les Misérables and the season finale of Gossip Girl
- Très is reading wedding books and an Olympian's memoir
- Fab is shopping for stunning statement pieces for the holidays
- Fit's feeling cold-weather workout gear
- Bella's wrapping up the year with makeup palettes and spa-inspired candles
- Casa is craving holiday decor and cocktail-party essentials
- Yum's serving up peppermint treats and a hot new cookbook
- Savvy's suggesting ways to plan your expenses for the new year
Love our list of must-have items? Be sure to sign up for the POPSUGAR Must Have box, delivered right to your door! Each month, subscribers will get a box full of fun, must-have products curated from our fashion, beauty, home, and fitness editors. Click here to learn more and to sign up for your Must Have box!
We made over 100 beginner recipes this year, but we wanted to showcase our absolute favorites. Whether you're looking for your next go-to spaghetti dish or easy-as-pie dessert, if you're hungry for our best content, then take a look at the top beginner recipes we made in 2012.