- Trend much? Eighteen restaurant cookbooks are coming out this Fall — Eater
- An exotic meats dinner in Kansas nixes the idea of lion meat — Kitchen Daily
- Top Chef Masters is heating up — Zagat
- Workers have beef over In-N-Out's hiring practices — Grub Street LA
- Fried bacon-wrapped cinnamon roll, anyone? — Delish
- The best apples for baking — MyRecipes
- Must make: Greek-style grilled octopus — Hunter Angler Gardener Cook
The beantime is, I've decided, that stretch of days after making a giant pot of red beans during which this debate is always on your mind: Do I freeze them? Keep eating bowls of beans and rice? Or think of some interesting things to do with them? Usually, in our house, we freeze a portion and keep eating red beans at every meal, in some form. Burritos made from red beans, rice, and cheese, or a quesadilla with red beans, cilantro, and pepper jack are two common things we use them for, but huevos rancheros is undoubtedly my favorite. Plus you can eat it any old time of day! It's a super-easy dish to make, and I've got a couple lil' twists to share.
First, turn your red beans into "refried" beans: place them in a wide-mouthed pot or skillet, and let them simmer away, uncovered, for about 10 minutes. They'll thicken up considerably; you can also mash them a bit in the pan for more of a refried-bean texture. If you don't have leftover beans, just heat up a can of refried beans or regular beans (season them well) that you mash into a paste.
There’s nothing like the warm, fuzzy feeling you get when passing out gifts to the ones you love. Except maybe the incredible, thrilling rush that comes from scoring those gifts during the most invigorating shopping season of all!
This year, our friends at T.J.Maxx, Marshalls, and HomeGoods are giving you more reasons than ever to celebrate your holiday shopping victories — by creating a series of fun and inspiring gifting “missions” that you can tackle weekly for a new chance to win!
Readers as well as our favorite lifestyle bloggers will be invited to participate in five missions across T.J.Maxx, Marshalls, and HomeGoods stores, then simply share their experience via Twitter using the hashtag #TheGifter. Each week, one winner will be chosen to receive a $500 gift card! You can also visit #TheGifter holiday gifting hub to explore an ever-evolving gallery of amazing gifts at amazing values — check back often for fresh inspiration and fun ideas.
Make this holiday shopping season your most triumphant yet! The missions are already under way, so start making your gifting list, and click here for more details.
With the help of tart lemon and creamy yogurt, this cake from yupitsmabel is moist and delicious.
For the full recipe, check out her blog, and be sure to upload your latest food-related obsessions with us in the YumSugar Community. If you're on Instagram, then join us by tagging your pictures with the hashtag #savorysight.
- See all the hottest beauty looks
- Vote on the best dressed from the night
- See all the ladies on the red carpet
- Find out who wore what
- A closer look at Rihanna's chopped 'do
- All the details on Emma Watson's colorful look
- Taylor Swift rocks a white pantsuit on the carpet
- Pink and Carey Hart show PDA
The list of all the winners, and more MTV VMAs fun:
- Must make: scrambled egg salad — The Kitchn
- Now you can order ice cream nachos at Baskin-Robbins — Zagat
- Royal Blush wine features a label with a naked Prince Harry — Delish
- Previewing Jamie Oliver's Chef Race: UK vs. US — Eater
- How to salt your meat without contaminating anything — Big Girls Small Kitchen
- Millions of people should be gluten-free and don't even know it — Kitchen Daily
- Sign of the times: the French Laundry will start serving cocktails — Grub Street SF