- Get a total-body workout in just 10 minutes!
- Tips for photographing your child's birthday
- DIY a colorful camera strap
- Indulge in delicious post-Lent recipes
- Create a sweet, soft chignon for fine hair
- Key signs you're still not over your ex
- 30 ways to wear your favorite white t-shirt
- Sale alert: freshen your rooms with new curtains
- Happy birthday, Kristen Stewart — see her movie roles over the years
- April 17 is approaching: helpful last-minute tax tips
- Zac Efron loses his shirt in Sydney!
We're thrilled that asparagus season is finally upon us! There are so many different ways to enjoy these green spears, so make sure to get in your favorite recipes while this vegetable's at its peak.
Asparagus With Grated Egg and Vinaigrette
Raw Asparagus Salad
Why should kids have all the fun? This Sunday, offer your loved ones a creative, up-to-the-moment take on the classic children's Easter basket — only this time, make sure it has a grown-up twist. From champagne flutes and bubbly to handmade marshmallows and beyond, this assortment will take your handmade Easter basket to a sophisticated level. Click through for more ideas, then be sure to watch our how-to video for even more tips.
There’s nothing like the warm, fuzzy feeling you get when passing out gifts to the ones you love. Except maybe the incredible, thrilling rush that comes from scoring those gifts during the most invigorating shopping season of all!
This year, our friends at T.J.Maxx, Marshalls, and HomeGoods are giving you more reasons than ever to celebrate your holiday shopping victories — by creating a series of fun and inspiring gifting “missions” that you can tackle weekly for a new chance to win!
Readers as well as our favorite lifestyle bloggers will be invited to participate in five missions across T.J.Maxx, Marshalls, and HomeGoods stores, then simply share their experience via Twitter using the hashtag #TheGifter. Each week, one winner will be chosen to receive a $500 gift card! You can also visit #TheGifter holiday gifting hub to explore an ever-evolving gallery of amazing gifts at amazing values — check back often for fresh inspiration and fun ideas.
Make this holiday shopping season your most triumphant yet! The missions are already under way, so start making your gifting list, and click here for more details.
- Ring in Spring with the ultimate Easter Sunday party plan.
- Food & Wine magazine announces its Best New Chefs of 2012.
- Never worked with stinging nettles? Here's what to know about them.
- From matzo brei to roasted lamb, menu items for your kosher-for-Passover feast.
- Celebrate baseball's new season with a cornucopia of ballpark eats.
- A buyer's guide to the best chef's knives.
- Ten recipes to embrace now that Lent is over.
- A few things we can't live without this April.
It's only 40 days, but when you're giving up something you love, the Lenten season can seem like forever. Did you give up a favorite food? As Lent comes to a close, it's time to gather recipes for your first indulgent meal. Whether it's caffeine, sugar, meat, cheese, or alcohol that you've been missing, we've rounded up 10 of the best recipes to help you reintroduce the tasty treats back into your diet.
- Make spicy pickled celery that's ready before you know it — Food52
- Maya Rudolph recounts her waitressing experience — The Daily Meal
- Morels and fava beans sing of Spring — Saveur
- Trouble's brewing for the FDA — Food Republic
- Chipotle's given chef Nate Appleman a new lease on life — Grub Street NY
- Now casting: season three of The Great Food Truck Race — Eater
- What to sip for Passover seder — Gourmet Live
Stinging nettle: the name might lead you to believe that this plant is (1) dangerous to touch and (2) a weed. And you would be right. But despite its name and repellent nature, stinging nettles are also edible and delicious and becoming increasingly popular among foraging chefs, thanks to its abundance in the wild. Now in season, nettles could be the perfect addition to your Spring kitchen endeavors. Want to learn more about this prickly plant? Just read on.
- The stinging nettle is abundant in North America, Europe, and Asia but can also be found in parts of Africa with moist soil.
- The plant gets its name from the tiny, prickly hairs on the leaves and stems that detach from the plant when it's touched and inject a painful chemical concoction.
- Stinging nettles have a long medicinal history with uses ranging from arthritis to rheumatism relief to dandruff prevention.
- With a flavor likened by some to spinach or broccoli, nettle has become a popular Spring vegetable. Fresh and dried leaves can be steeped in tea that supposedly fights off seasonal allergy symptoms.
- Look for stinging nettle at your local farmers market. Many home chefs forage for the weed, but it's important to pick the leaves before the plant begins to flower. Eating mature stinging nettle can cause urinary tract irritation and damage.
- The plant is rich in vitamins A, C, iron, potassium, manganese, and calcium and high in protein for a leafy green vegetable.
- The stinging hairs on the plant can be removed by soaking the leaves in water, drying, or cooking.
If you manage to track down a bag of stinging nettles, get ready for a treat! Here are a few of the many uses for this culinary weed:
- Process blanched leaves with pine nuts, garlic, parmesan cheese, and olive oil for delicious stinging nettle pesto.
- Top a Neapolitan-style pizza with pancetta and stinging nettles. Crack an egg in the center a few minutes before it's done.
- Replace spinach or asparagus with stinging nettle in a Spring frittata or quiche.
- Puree into a savory stinging nettle soup.
Elvis didn't just leave behind a legacy of music; he also left behind a classic (and crave-worthy) food combination — something reflected in Gabi29's cupcakes below.
When you're craving something a little over the top, try these cupcakes based on one of Elvis's favorite sandwiches: peanut butter, banana, and bacon. These cupcakes start with a banana cake base and are topped with peanut butter frosting and candied bacon.
For city dwellers and suburbanites, weekend mornings are reserved for brunch. No other get-together lends itself so well to catch-ups and recaps of the previous night's revelry. You and your girlfriends have brunch down to a science. From the moment you sit down until you're taking those last sips of your Kahlúa® and coffee, this meal is a well-designed dance of chatting and cheering.
To celebrate this tasty tradition, we're giving away $2,000 to put toward an afternoon spent brunching and shopping plus a $1,000 spa gift certificate to share with your best girlfriends. If you're 21 years of age or older, enter for your chance to win! Just let us know why you're counting down to your next weekend rendezvous by taking the poll below.
Must be 21 years of age or older to enter.
Click here for the official rules.