4 to 6 pieces asparagus, each 3 inches long
2 slices country-style bread, each 1/2 inch thick
Olive oil for brushing
1 Tbs. mayonnaise
2 oz. goat cheese (chèvre), crumbled
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Blanch the asparagus: bring a saucepan of salted water to a boil over high heat, add the asparagus and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Using tongs or a slotted spoon, transfer the asparagus to a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking and preserve the bright green color. Drain and pat dry.
- Preheat an electric panini maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. Alternately, heat a griddle pan over medium high heat.
- Brush one side of each bread slice with olive oil. Lay the slices, oiled side down, on a clean work surface. Spread the top of one slice with the mayonnaise. Sprinkle the cheese on the other slice and top with the asparagus. Season with salt and pepper. Top with the other bread slice, oiled side up.
- Place the sandwich on the preheated panini maker or griddle pan and cook until the bread is golden and the cheese is melted, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer the sandwich to a cutting board and cut in half. Serve immediately.
- Main Dishes, Sandwiches
- North American