Although the ingredients are basic, this lasagna is wonderfully delicious. For maximum flavor, use a good quality vegetable stock and fresh mushrooms, and be sure to generously season the white sauce. It's rich without being heavy; with the seasonal components, it makes a great centerpiece to a Spring meal.
I snapped a few pictures at the dinner and hoped to get a stunning photo the following day when the lighting was better. However, the lasagna was so good that people went back for seconds, and there was none left! Seriously, you should really give this recipe a try.
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter, divided
2 medium leeks (white and pale green parts only), halved lengthwise, thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
1 pound thick asparagus spears, trimmed, cut on diagonal into 1-inch pieces
5 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, coarsely chopped
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
4 cups low-salt vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Nonstick vegetable oil spray
1 9-ounce package (12 noodles) no-cook lasagna noodles
1 1/2 cups (about) finely grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add leeks; cook until wilted, stirring often, about 8 minutes. Transfer to medium bowl.
- Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in same skillet. Add asparagus, mushrooms, and thyme. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; sauté until asparagus is crisp-tender, stirring often, about 4 minutes.
- Add to bowl with leeks and toss to distribute evenly.
- Add broth, cream, and bay leaf to same skillet and boil over high heat until slightly thickened, about 6 minutes. Sprinkle flour over and whisk to blend. Boil until sauce thickens, about 1 minute, whisking until smooth. Remove from heat. Stir in nutmeg; discard bay leaf. Season to taste with salt and pepper. DO AHEAD Vegetables and sauce can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a large lasagna dish with nonstick spray. Spoon 1/4 cup sauce into each dish. Place 1 noodle atop sauce. Break off corners of noodles to fit flatly into dish. Scatter 1/3 of the vegetable mixture over, spreading in even layer. Drizzle 1/3 of the sauce over. Sprinkle 1/3 of cheese cheese over each. Repeat layering two more times with noodles, vegetables, sauce, and cheese. Drizzle remaining sauce over lasagnas.
- Cover dish tightly with foil. Place on rimmed baking sheet and bake until noodles are tender, about 45 minutes. Uncover and bake until sauce is bubbling and cheese begins to brown, about 6 minutes. Let stand at room temperature 5 minutes before serving.
- Main Dishes, Pasta