- Condiments/Sauces, Other
- North American
1 cup reconstituted store-bought veal demi-glace
2 1/2 teaspoons commercial beef base
1 1/4 teaspoons commercial chicken base
1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf
Pinch of freshly ground white pepper
- In a medium saucepan, combine 1 ¼ cups water with the demi-glace, beef base, chicken base, peppercorns, garlic powder, thyme, bay leaf, and white pepper. Whisk well.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook at a boil, uncovered, whisking occasionally, for about 25 minutes, or until glossy and smooth.
- Strain through a chinois or fine-mesh sieve into a metal bowl. Discard the solids.
- Let cook, then cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour until chilled. Scrape off any fat that has congealed on the surface.
- Use right away or transfer to a lidded container and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Makes about 1 generous cup.