8 slices bacon (8 ounces total)
1/2 baguette (8 ounces), sliced into 3/4-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
2 tablespoons olive oil
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1/3 cup buttermilk
3 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 scallion, thinly sliced
1 pound romaine-lettuce, hearts chopped
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Arrange bacon in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment or waxed paper. Bake until browned and crisp, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain. Cool, then crumble into large pieces.
- Make croutons: Toss bread with oil, and season with salt and pepper. Spread evenly on a baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, tossing halfway through, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together buttermilk, mayonnaise, vinegar, and scallion; season with salt and pepper.
- Add lettuce, tomatoes, and croutons; toss to coat with dressing. Sprinkle with bacon.
- Salads, Vegetables
- North American