Have you ever eaten or cooked with banana flower?
1 firm banana flower
1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 yellow onion, sliced
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup of fresh mint, sliced into a chiffonade
4 tablespoons white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
3 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons soy sauce
Make sure to slice your banana flower as thinly as possible.
- Prepare the banana flower: Peel back the purple leaves, and remove the buds until you find yourself with the white heart.
- Reserve two of the purple leaves for serving.
- Cut off the stem and cut the heart in half. Thinly slice each half and immediately place in a large bowl with water and the juice of half a lime.
- Poach the chicken: Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add salt and chicken breast.
- Cook for about 30 to 40 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and comes apart easily.
- Shred the chicken with a fork and set aside.
- Cook the onions: Heat up canola oil over medium-high heat in a large pan. Drop onion slices in oil and let them fry up until crispy
- Once brown and crispy, remove onions from oil and dry on a paper towel.
- Put everything together: In a large bowl, combine vinegar, sugar, salt, chili flakes, and lime juice. Add mint, shredded chicken, and sliced banana flower to the bowl and toss well.
- Serve salad in the two purple leaves, top with crispy onions and drizzle with soy sauce. Garnish with mint.
Serves 2 to 4.