1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons butter
1/8 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 egg, whites separated
Avoid over-mixing the dough, because it will result in less flaky scones. When cutting the scones, do not twist cutter when picking up the dough. It can lead to floppy, uneven scones.
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Cover a baking sheet with a silpat silicone pad or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together. Crumble and rub butter into the flour using your fingers until mixture resembles sand.
- Stir in sugar. Pour in milk and use a butter knife to cut mixture, combining all ingredients until a soft dough forms.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead very lightly. Pat or roll out dough to 1/2-inch thick. Stamp out round scones using a 2-inch dough cutter, spreading them out evenly on a baking sheet. Dough scrapes can be combined, lightly kneaded, and stamped out again. Repeat process until no dough remains.
- Brush tops of scones with egg white. Bake for 12-15 minutes until scones have doubled in height and tops are golden.
Makes 11 scones.
- Breads, Scones