Plan on making this dough a day in advance.
CPK Pizza Dough
1 teaspoon yeast
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon warm water
1-1/2 cups bread flour or all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil plus 1 teaspoon for coating
- To make the dough, dissolve yeast in water and set aside for 5 to 10 minutes. Ensure that the temperature of the water is below 120ºF, otherwise your dough will not rise.
- If using an electric mixer or food processor: Combine all other ingredients (except 1 teaspoon olive oil) and combine them with the dissolved yeast in a mixing bowl, making sure not to pour the salt directly into the yeast water. If using the paddle attachment of an electric mixer, mix gradually at the lowest two speeds to mix the dough, until dough is smooth and elastic, about 2 to 3 minutes. If using the dough blade of a food processor, mix only until a smooth dough ball is formed. If mixing by hand: Place dry ingredients into a 4- to 6-quart mixing bowl; form a well in the middle and pour in all liquids except the 1 teaspoon olive oil. Combine using a wooden spoon; lightly oil your hands and knead the dough for 5 minutes, or until it's slightly tacky and barely sticks to the hands.
- With the remaining teaspoon of olive oil, lightly oil the dough ball and the interior of a 1-quart glass bowl. Place the dough ball in the bowl and seal the bowl with clear food wrap until as airtight as possible. Set aside at room temperature (70º-80ºF) until dough doubles in bulk, about 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
- Once the dough has doubled in bulk, punch down the dough, re-form it into a ball, and return it to the same bowl; cover again with clear food wrap. Place bowl in the refrigerator overnight, covered airtight.
- 2 hours before assembly, remove the dough from the refrigerator. Use a sharp knife to divide the dough into 4 equal-sized portions; roll into round balls on a smooth, clean surface.
- Place the newly-formed dough balls in a glass casserole dish, spaced far enough apart to allow for each to double in size. Seal the top of the dish airtight with clear food wrap; set aside at room temperature until dough balls have doubled in size, about 2 hours, and are smooth and puffy.
Makes enough dough for 4 pizzas.