4 large egg yolks
1/4 cup superfine granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 to 1 1/2 cups yellow cake mix
Sprinkles, for topping (optional)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg yolks, sugar, and salt on high speed for about 3 minutes, or until yolks lighten in color and hold a ribbon on the surface for 2 seconds.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg yolk mixture, heavy cream, and whole milk. Set over a double boiler, and cook mixture until a thermometer reads 180ºF and the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare an ice water bath. When mixture comes to 180ºF, strain it in a fine mesh sieve over another clean bowl. Set bowl in ice water bath. Let it cool completely. Once it has cooled, whisk in vanilla extract and cake mix.
- Freeze cream in an ice cream maker, following the manufacturer's instructions. Serve ice cream immediately or transfer to an airtight container and place in the freezer for up to 2 to 3 weeks. When serving, garnish with sprinkles.
- Ice cream, Desserts
- North American
- About 5 cups of ice cream