Skip the scented candles, and concoct an air freshener that serves double duty: warmly spiced maple pecan granola.
As its exotic yet comforting perfume wafts from the oven, rest easy knowing that you're simultaneously setting yourself up for a week of enticing and low-fuss breakfasts (just add Greek yogurt), with plenty of granola on hand for snacks, or even jazzing up a bowl of store-bought ice cream.
Keep reading for the comforting crispy-crunchy recipe.
Attending a summer feté? This granola has your back: bundled up in cellophane bags and tied off with festive ribbon, this humble treat makes for a thoughtful hostess gift — the last thing a hungover host wants to deal with is breakfast. All in all, pretty impressive for such a simple recipe, no?
4 cups (13 ounces) rolled oats
2 cups (8 ounces) coarsely chopped pecans
Heaping 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
Heaping 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup, preferably grade B
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF. Prep a half-sheet pan with parchment paper or a silicone baking sheet for easy cleanup.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, pecans, cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, pepper, and salt.
- Add the butter, vegetable oil, brown sugar, and maple syrup to a small saucepan, and set over medium-low heat. Cook until the sugar has dissolved and the butter has melted, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Whisk in the vanilla extract off the heat.
- Combine the butter mixture with the dry ingredients, and stir until evenly coated. Dump it all onto the prepped half-sheet pan and bake for 18-25 minutes, checking around the halfway point to see how it's going, and to stir in order to promote even browning.
- Take out of the oven when the granola is dry and the oats and nuts are golden and toasted. Allow to cool for a few minutes, and break into chunks.
- Breakfast/Brunch, Granola
- Serves 8