Modified from Food & Wine
Catalan Fish Stew
1 1/2 pounds plum tomatoes, halved crosswise
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup bottled clam broth
4 ounces sliced serrano ham, cut into thin strips
1/3 cup pitted green olives, chopped
1 tablespoon capers
1 1/2 pounds halibut fillet, cut into 2-inch chunks
- Using a box grater set in a bowl, carefully grate the cut sides of the tomatoes, stopping when you reach the skin. You should have about 2 cups of tomato pulp.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until they are softened and just beginning to brown, about 6 minutes.
- Add the tomato pulp and cook over high heat until it is thickened, about 5 minutes. Add the clam broth and boil until it is reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
- Add the serrano, olives, capers and halibut and simmer over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the fish is cooked through and the stew is thick, about 5 minutes longer.
- Serve the fish stew in shallow bowls with crusty bread for dipping.