From Food & Wine
Sour-Cherry Gin Slings
1 pound sour cherries, stemmed
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup water
Strips of zest from 1/2 lemon
Strips of zest from 1/2 orange
2 cups gin
2/3 cup Cointreau
2/3 cup fresh lime juice
2 1/4 cups sour-cherry syrup
Lime wheels and fresh cherries, for garnish
- Make the sour-cherry syrup: In a large saucepan, combine the cherries with the sugar, water and citrus zests and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for 40 minutes.
- Pass the mixture through a fine strainer, pressing on the solids; you should have 2 1/2 cups. Let cool.
- Make the gin slings: In a pitcher, combine the gin with the Cointreau, lime juice, sour-cherry syrup and a few dashes of bitters and stir well.
- Pour into ice-filled glasses and top each drink with sparkling water. Garnish with the lime wheels and fresh cherries and serve.
Makes 12 drinks.