Guess what? This week I'm planning Naomi Watts' baby shower! As much as I wish I was a celebrity event planner, this is a virtual party plan that I'm creating per your requests! So many readers have asked for help with baby showers they're planning for girlfriends, sisters, and mothers, but since I don't know anyone who is pregnant, I thought it would be fabulous to design a luncheon for one of Hollywood's most chic starlets. The event has a light pink and baby blue theme that was established with the polka-dot invitations sent yesterday. The menu for the sit down lunch will be light, fresh, springy, vegetarian, and absolutely delicious. To see what simple appetizer will meet the all female crowd as they arrive, read more
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
3 oz cream cheese at room temperature
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/3 cup finely chopped celery
1/3 cup finely chopped peeled and seeded cucumber
1 scallion, trimmed and finely chopped
Garnish: scallion greens, sliced diagonally
- Whisk together all ingredients except celery, cucumber, and scallion until smooth, then stir in vegetables.
Makes about 1 1/2 cups.
Make ahead: dip can be made 2 days ahead and chilled, covered.
5 Idaho baking potatoes, peeled
Vegetable oil, for frying
- Using a mandoline, slice the potatoes 1/16 inch thick. Rinse the slices under cold water and put them in a large bowl with 2 tablespoons of salt. Add cold water to cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the bowl. Add water to cover and let soak for 1 more hour. Drain and pat dry.
- In a large pot, heat 2 inches of oil to 350° over moderately high heat.
- Working in small batches, fry the potato chips, stirring a few times, until golden, about 4 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the potato chips to paper towels to drain. Sprinkle with salt and serve.
Curious about how I round out the menu? Well check back later today for the main course and dessert recipes.