Nothing says early fall more than apple pie. However, I want to surprise my fall dinner party guests, so instead of making classic apple pie or apple crisp, I'll make an apple buckle.
A buckle is a simple streusel topped cake similar to a dessert coffee cake. It is typically made with summer fruits, but this nontraditional version wonderfully showcases fall apples. It will pair perfectly with a dessert wine or a cup of just brewed coffee, so get the recipe now read more
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
Pinch of salt
1 stick (4 ounces) plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1/2 cup half-and-half
2 pounds Granny Smith apples--peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch dice
Sweetened sour cream, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter and flour a 10-inch springform pan.
- Make the Crumb Topping: in a food processor, pulse the flour with the brown sugar, cinnamon, lemon zest and salt. Add the butter and process until the mixture resembles moist sand. Add the walnuts and pulse 3 times. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and press into large crumbs.
- Make the Batter:in a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the baking powder, ginger and salt. In a large bowl, using a handheld electric mixer, beat the butter until creamy. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in the honey. Add the lemon zest, vanilla and eggs and beat until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients in 2 batches, alternating with the half-and-half and beat at low speed until smooth. Fold in the apples.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle with the crumb topping. Bake the buckle in the center of the oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the topping is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool for at least 1 hour before unhinging the springform and removing the ring.
- Cut the buckle into wedges and serve with sweetened sour cream.
Make ahead: The buckle can be refrigerated for up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.