Guess who's about to celebrate her birthday and start her golden year all on the same day?! KatieSugar! My mom always said that the year your age and birth-date coincided is considered your golden year. Since Katie (no that's not her pictured) is turning 1 on the first of June, this will be her golden year so she deserves a super special celebration worthy of any celebrity baby. Hand crafted pink invitations have set the girlie tone of the event, and to emphasize the focus on Katie, all of the food will be miniature. The appetizers include mini crab cakes and three-bite buffalo chicken wings, but for the mini, all-American main course recipes, read more
I know Brian Sugar loves tacos so I had to include Mini Tacos. The menu is rounded out with Mini Hot Dogs and Mini Cheeseburgers.
Vegetable oil, for deep frying
8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
2 cups warm shredded, cooked pork
3/4 cup grated Pepper Jack cheese
1/4 cup diced red tomatoes
2 tablespoons roughly chopped cilantro leaves
- In a deep skillet heat at least 3 inches oil to 360 degrees. With a 3 1/2-inch biscuit or cookie cutter, cut out 8 small circles from corn tortillas. Roughly chop scraps and set aside.
- Using tongs, hold a tortilla circle in shape of a taco shell and fry, one at a time, until crisp, golden and holds its shape.
- Drain on paper towels and repeat with remaining tortillas. Fry tortilla scraps.
- Fill each shell with a little pork, cheese, tomatoes, and cilantro. Serve with tortilla chips, sprinkled with extra cilantro.
Makes 8 mini tacos.
Two 12-ounce packages refrigerated biscuit dough
1 cup Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, 2 teaspoons sauce reserved
1 cup ketchup
One 12-ounce package mini cocktail franks
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Separate the biscuits and cut each in half. Pull each half into an oblong shape to resemble a hot dog bun. Place the dough on 2 baking sheets lined with parchment paper and bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Cool, then split in half lengthwise, being careful not to slice all the way through.
- While the rolls bake, in a small bowl, combine the mustard and maple syrup.
- In a food processor, puree the chipotle chile with the reserved adobo sauce and ketchup; spoon into another small bowl.
- In a microwave, heat the cocktail franks; place one in each bun. Serve with the two dipping sauces.
Makes 12 mini dogs.
12 mini dinner rolls, split
1 garlic clove, halved
Extra-virgin olive oil for liberal drizzling
1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
10 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
1 large shallot, finely chopped
2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 cups baby spinach, thinly sliced
3/4 pound Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- Preheat broiler to high. Place the rolls on a broiler pan and toast until golden. Rub with the garlic and drizzle with olive oil.
- In a medium bowl, combine the beef with the Worcestershire sauce, sage, shallot and parsley; season with salt and pepper.
- Divide into 4 equal pieces and form 3 mini patties from each piece, 12 mini burger patties total.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with a tablespoon of olive oil. Cook the patties for 3 minutes on the first side and 1 to 2 minutes on the other side for medium.
- Top each bun bottom with some spinach, a burger patty and a few cheese crumbles.
- Place under the broiler to melt the cheese a bit, about 30 seconds, then set the bun tops in place.
Makes 12 mini burgers.
Substitute: Feel free to use your favorite type of cheese and herbs in this dish. Monterey jack and cilantro, Cheddar and parsley, or parmesan and rosemary are all great pairings.
What's your favorite mini main course? Tell me about it below! Wondering what tiny dessert I'll be whipping up? Surf on back this afternoon for the final part of this menu series.