Today I'm planning a simple and elegant brunch for Mother's Day. My mom is a fairly picky eater (onions give her heartburn) so I'll be making a breakfast menu suited to her likes and needs, rather than to mine. I think that cooking a special meal for someone is the most honest, pure way to really show them how much you love them. My mom doesn't cook so I am lucky enough to be able to make her meals all the time and that's why this menu has to be different. I want it to stand out from the crowd. I'm making her a fresh fruit salad and as the main event, a breakfast sandwich. The English muffin egg sandwich has four trusted ingredients (and I know mom loves them all!): spinach, bacon, cheese, and milk. This recipe would also be great for a late night snack so check it out now and read more
4 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup spinach, tough stems discarded, leaves rinsed and finely shredded
1/3 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
4 English muffins, split and toasted
- n a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon until browned, about 4 minutes per side. Drain slices on paper towels, then crumble. Reserve rendered fat in skillet for hash browns, if desired.
- Heat broiler. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and milk, then whisk in the remaining ingredients (except muffins and 4 tablespoons cheese).
- Heat an oven proof 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Pour in the egg mixture, and cook until bottom is set, about 7 minutes. Transfer to broiler, and cook until top is set and puffy, about 1 minute. Remove from oven, and immediately slide onto a cutting board; let rest 1 minute.
- Using a biscuit cutter or inverted glass, cut out four rounds, or cut into four wedges with a knife.
- Place one portion on the bottom half of each of the English muffins. Transfer to a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle remaining 4 tablespoons cheese over the sandwiches; broil until cheese is melted and bubbling, about 30 seconds.
- Place top half of muffins on each sandwich, and serve immediately.