Green Tea Ice Cream
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon mirin
1 tablespoon green tea powder (recommended: Matcha)
1 cup whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
- Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan. Place the saucepan over low heat and bring to a simmer, then simmer, stirring, for about 5 minutes. Add the mirin to the saucepan, stir, and immediately remove from heat.
- Dissolve the green tea powder in about 3 tablespoons of the sugar water from the saucepan, stirring until completely blended.
- Pour this mixture back into the saucepan with the remaining sugar water. Add the milk and return to heat, until green tea powder is completely dissolved.
- Remove from heat and add cream to the mixture, combining well. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
- Transfer the mixture to an electric ice cream maker and churn and chill for about 35-40 minutes, or according to manufacturer's instructions.
- The texture of the ice cream should be smooth and thick. You can serve this immediately, or transfer the ice cream to a plastic freezer container and freeze for a firmer texture.