Adapted from Paula Deen
Red Velvet Cookies With Dark Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting and Roasted Hazelnuts
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons buttermilk
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon red food coloring
Dark Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
16 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
2 cups roughly chopped dark chocolate (72% cocoa)
2 squares of baking chocolate
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup roasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a small bowl.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs 1 at a time.
- Then beat in the buttermilk, vinegar, vanilla and red food coloring.
- Once combined, add the dry ingredients to wet. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Onto a parchment lined sheet tray, drop batter using an ice cream scoop, forming 2-inch round circles.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until baked through. Cookies should be cake-like and light. Allow to cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make the dark chocolate cream cheese frosting: Melt all of the chocolate in the microwave roughly 2-3 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Let chocolate cool. Add cream cheese, vanilla and powdered sugar and beat on medium low until well combined.
- Spread frosting evenly on a cookie. Top with hazelnuts and another cookie.
Makes 12-15 cookies.