The resulting bite has just the right amount of richness. Check out the recipe and read more.
2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
One 8-ounce package cream cheese, at room temperature
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, plus more for sprinkling
2 1/2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
1/2 cup dried blueberries or currants
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup seedless blackberry jam
1 large egg white, beaten
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter, cream cheese and 2 tablespoons sugar at high speed until fluffy. Mix in the flour and salt at low speed. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface; divide into 6 equal portions. Shape into disks, wrap in wax paper and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350°. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper. In a small bowl, stir together the walnuts, blueberries, the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and the cinnamon.
- On a lightly floured surface, unwrap a piece of dough and roll out to an 8-inch round. Using an offset spatula, spread 2 tablespoons jam over the surface, leaving a 1/2-inch border.
- Cut the dough into 8 pie-slice-like triangles. Sprinkle 2 heaping tablespoons of the walnut mixture on top and then roll up each triangle from the outside in; bend slightly into a crescent shape. Place 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with more of the dough and walnut mixture until the sheet is full.
- Brush with the egg white and sprinkle with sugar. Bake until golden, about 22 minutes. Transfer the cookies to a rack to cool completely. Repeat with the remaining dough.
Makes 48 cookies.
- Cookies, Desserts