3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 pounds zucchini (about 3 medium), cut into 1-inch pieces
1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon or dill or 1 teaspoon dried
3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese (3 ounces)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Place broth, zucchini and tarragon (or dill) in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until the zucchini is tender, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Puree carefully in a blender, removing the center piece of the blender lid and loosely covering the hole with a folded kitchen towel, in batches if necessary, until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pan and heat over medium-high, slowly stirring in cheese until it is incorporated. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper. Serve chilled.
Makes 4 servings, 1-1/4 cups each.
Nutritional information per serving: 115 calories; 5 g fat; 19 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrate; 10 g protein; 2 g fiber; 448 mg sodium; 452 mg potassium.
- North American
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 small garlic clove, pressed
1 pound peeled, cooked medium shrimp
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced (about 2 cups)
2 garlic cloves, sliced
6 medium zucchini (about 1 3/4 pounds), cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
4 cups low-salt chicken broth
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, plus sprigs for garnish
- Make cilantro cream: Whisk sour cream, cilantro, and garlic in small bowl to blend. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and chill. (Can be made 1 day ahead.)
- Prepare shrimp: Combine all ingredients in medium bowl. Cover and chill at least 4 hours or overnight. (Can be made 1 day ahead.)
- Make soup: Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onion; sauté until tender, about 8 minutes. Add garlic; stir 1 minute. Add zucchini; stir to coat. Stir in broth; bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until zucchini is tender, about 10 minutes. Cool to lukewarm. Add chopped cilantro. Working in batches, puree soup in blender until smooth.
- Transfer soup to large bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and chill until cold, about 4 hours. (Can be made and chilled up to 1 day ahead.)
- Divide soup among bowls. Top each with shrimp, dividing equally. Spoon dollop of cilantro cream over each, garnish with cilantro sprigs, and serve.
Makes 6 first-course or 4 mail-course servings.
- North American