Rigatoni With Ricotta and Roasted Beets
4 beets (about 3/4 pound), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1 pound rigatoni pasta
5 cups baby spinach (about 8 ounces)
1 cup ricotta cheese
Grated peel from 1 lemon, plus 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 450°.
- On a foil-lined baking sheet, toss the beets with 1 tablespoon olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Wrap tightly with foil and roast for 15 minutes.
- Unwrap, then arrange the beets in a single layer.
- In a small bowl, toss the onion with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper; arrange on the baking sheet. Roast, tossing halfway through, until tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the rigatoni and cook until al dente.
- Drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta cooking water. Return the pasta to the pot and toss with the spinach.
- In a bowl, whisk the ricotta, reserved pasta water, lemon peel, lemon juice and the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add to the pasta along with the vegetables. Season with salt and pepper; toss.