4 large ripe tomatoes
juice of one lime
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1 jalapeño, seeded (optional) roughly chopped
1/2 small white onion, roughly chopped
1/4 cup cilantro
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Fill a large pot with water. Bring to a boil. Fill a bowl with ice and water. Place next to the stove.
- With a small knife, slice an X into the bottom of each tomato, being careful not to cut all the way through. Drop each tomato into the boiling water and boil until the skin starts to peel off, about 45 seconds to a minute. Remove immediately and place in the ice water bath.
- When the tomatoes are cool enough to handle, peel off the skins and discard. Slice the tomatoes into large wedges.
- Squeeze the lime juice into a food processor. Add the garlic, jalapeño, onion, cilantro, spices, and tomatoes.
- Process until the vegetables are finely chopped and the mixture is chunky. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking. If you prefer more heat, add another jalapeño or more chili powder. Enjoy with tortilla chips or however you desire!
Makes about 2 cups.