Tonight take your family on a trip to Mexico with a south of the border inspired meal that comes together in minutes. A fresh fruity salsa made with canned fruit, fresh scallions, green chilies, and cilantro top a soft shrimp taco. Shrimp is quickly sautéed with red onion, garlic, corn, and tomatoes to create a spicy, succulent scrumptious filling. Using reduced fat Monterey Jack cheese keeps the tacos figure friendly. Who knew you could travel to Mexico in the comforts of your own home? Chill some Corona, Pacifico, or Dos Equis and turn on a little Luis Miguel because it's la ahora de cena (time for dinner)! Light up your Tuesday with latin flavors - get the recipe now, just read more
1 yellow or red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
1 red onion, sliced
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1 1/2 pounds peeled medium shrimp
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 cup chopped tomatoes
1 (11-ounce) can Mexi-corn, drained (optional)
8 (6-to-8-inch) flour tortillas
1 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
1 (8-ounce) can pineapple chunks in own juice, drained
1 (11-ounce) can mandarin orange segments, drained
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 green onions (scallions), chopped
1 tablespoon diced green chilies
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Make salsa: coarsely chop the pineapple and oranges.
- In a medium bowl, combine the pineapple, oranges, lemon juice, green onions, green chilies and cilantro. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Make the tacos: in a large nonstick skillet, saute the bell pepper, onion and garlic over medium-high heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the shrimp, cumin, chili powder and tomatoes, cooking until the shrimp are done, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in Mexi-corn if using.
- If desired, warm the tortillas in the microwave, over the stove or in the ovens before filling. To heat tortillas, wrap them loosely in plastic wrap and heat them in a microwave on high for about 1 minute. If you prefer, wrap in foil and warm in a 250-degree-F oven for 10 minutes.
- On each tortilla, evenly divide the shrimp mixture and the cheese. Fold the tortilla in half. Serve with Tropical Salsa.
Makes 8 tacos.