I love making a classic sandwich — in this case, the BLT — more exciting. I almost always add avocado to my BLTs and I jazz up the mayonnaise with herbs or spices. For this kicked up BLT, the mayo is mixed with garlic, fresh lime juice, and chili powder. The recipe has you cook the bacon on the stove, but for a mess-free variation, bake it in the oven on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper for 15 minutes at 375°F. To make this filling and comforting sandwich tonight, get the recipe, read more.
1 large garlic clove, crushed
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus more for sprinkling
1/2 cup light mayonnaise
One 12-ounce package center-cut bacon
8 slices of hearty, white farmhouse bread
1 large or 2 small ripe Hass avocados
2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
8 lettuce leaves, torn into pieces
8 dill pickle spears
- Chop the crushed garlic with the salt and press it with the side of the knife until mashed.
- Scrape the garlic into a small bowl and stir in the chili powder, 2 tablespoons of lime juice and the mayonnaise.
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon in 2 batches until crisp. Pour off the fat between each batch. Drain the bacon on paper towels.
- While the bacon cooks, toast the bread. Slice the avocado and sprinkle the slices with a few drops of the lime juice.
- Spread 1 side of each piece of toast with the spicy mayo. Arrange the avocado slices on 4 of the toasts, pressing them firmly against the mayo. Arrange the bacon, tomatoes and lettuce on the avocado slices. Top the sandwiches with the remaining toast. Cut the sandwiches in half on the diagonal and serve with the dill pickle spears.