Whenever I cook chicken for dinner, I always make a couple of extra breasts to use throughout the week. Having the leftover chicken on hand helps keep weeknight dinners simple. One way to use this extra chicken is to make a stuffed pita. Filled with quick sautéed mushrooms and wilted arugula, this pita makes a hearty and delicious meal. To take a look at the recipe, read more.
4 pita pockets
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
8 ounces sliced cremini mushrooms (2 cups)
8 ounces sliced white mushrooms (2 cups)
2 bunches of baby arugula (or baby spinach)
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 cups chicken meat torn into bite-size pieces from 1 small rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken
- Trim a narrow strip off one end of each pita and open the pitas with your fingers.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil and butter over medium-high heat until the butter stops foaming.
- Add the cremini mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Push the cremini to the side of the skillet and add the white mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the white mushrooms begin to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the arugula and heat until just wilted; season the mixture with salt and pepper to taste and remove from the heat.
- Mix in the chicken and spoon the filling into the pitas. Serve warm.
- Sandwiches, Main Dishes
- North American