The classic chicken potpie gets a portable makeover in this delicious recipe. Although a traditional potpie, with its homemade dough and slow-cooked chicken, takes time to make, this shortcut version uses refrigerated pie crusts and rotisserie chicken to cut the cook time. Kids will especially enjoy these empanadas because they require no eating utensils. For the recipe please, read more.
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1 tablespoon flour
3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 10-ounce box frozen peas and carrots
1 3- to 4-pound store-bought rotisserie chicken, meat shredded
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 refrigerated 9-inch piecrusts (from a 15-ounce package, such as Pillsbury)
- Heat oven to 400° F.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Still stirring, slowly add the broth. Cook until thickened, about 3 minutes. Add the peas and carrots, chicken, salt, and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Cut each piecrust in half to form 4 half-circles. Spoon the chicken mixture over the bottom half of each half-circle, leaving a 1/2-inch border.
- Using your fingers, wet the border with water. Fold the top of each crust over the chicken to form a quarter-circle. Press to seal. Make three 1-inch slits in each top crust.
- Transfer to a baking sheet. Bake until golden, 15 to 18 minutes.
NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 696.66(46% from fat); FAT 35.48g (sat 8.14g); CHOLESTEROL 142.95mg; CALCIUM 61.27mg; CARBOHYDRATE 42.72g; SODIUM 680.21mg; PROTEIN 50.47mg; FIBER 3.33g; IRON 4.29mg
- Main Dishes, Poultry
- North American