Penne With Meat Sauce
8 ounces dried penne
1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 14-ounce can whole Italian-style tomatoes, undrained
1/2 of a 6-ounce can Italian-style tomato paste
1/4 cup dry red wine or tomato juice
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup sliced pitted ripe olives
1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese (2 ounces)
Fresh oregano leaves (optional)
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain well. Return pasta to hot pan; cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a very large skillet, cook ground beef and onion until meat is brown. Drain off fat.
- In a blender or food processor, combine undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, wine, sugar, dried oregano, and pepper. Cover and blend or process until smooth.
- Stir tomato mixture into meat mixture in skillet. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in cooked pasta and olives. Cover and heat through.
- Sprinkle individual servings with mozzarella cheese. If desired, garnish with oregano leaves.