From The Nest
Spiced Pear and Goat Cheese Salad
For the spiced pears:
4-5 firm but ripe pears, peeled, cored, and quartered
splash of olive oil
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground coriander seeds
1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice
juice of 1 orange
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
For the goat cheese salad:
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
juice of 1 lemon
1 bunch arugula and/or watercress leaves
2 ounces Parmesan, shaved
11 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
30 flat parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
2/3 cup pine nuts, toasted until pale golden brown
- Preheat a grill pan or skillet and preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Mix the pears in a bowl with the oil, salt, pepper, and dried spices.
- When the grill is hot, grill the pears for 1 1/2 minutes on each side until they are beginning to caramelize.
- Remove from the pan and place in a small roasting pan. Pour the orange juice and red wine vinegar over them, and roast in the oven for 8 minutes. Transfer the pears to a large bowl and let cool.
- Mix the extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice into the pear juices in the roasting pan to make a dressing. Season to taste (remember the cheese is salty).
- Mix the leaves with the pears. Add the slivers of Parmesan, along with some of the crumbled goat cheese and the parsley. Pour in the dressing and toss gently to mix.
- Serve on a large plate and scatter the toasted pine nuts, remaining goat cheese, and Parmesan over the top.