4 cups cake flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature, plus more for greasing
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon lemon extract
For royal frosting:
5 large egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
Black food coloring
- To make the cookies: Grease two cookie sheets. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the cake flour and baking powder.
- In a stand-up mixer with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Beat in the lemon extract. Slowly add the flour mixture until a dough forms.
- Place the dough in between two sheets of wax paper, and roll until it's 1/4 inch thick. Using a cloud-shaped cookie cutter (or a stretched-out flower cookie cutter), cut out the cookies, and place them on the greased cookie sheets. Refrigerate for 15 minutes, or until they're firm to touch. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack.
- To make the royal frosting: In a stand-up mixer with the whisk attachment, whip the egg whites at medium speed, until they're foamy. Add the vanilla extract. Whip in the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, scraping down the sides, until a runny, creamy frosting forms.
- Divide the frosting into 2 bowls. In 1 bowl, add several drops of the black food coloring, and stir until the icing turns black. Transfer 1/3 of the white icing into a piping bag, and in a separate piping bag, repeat the process with the black frosting.
- To decorate the cookies: Dip the completely cooled cookies in the frosting color of your choice. Allow the cookies to set. Pipe on a border and your favorite quotes from the movie. Allow the icing to set completely before eating.
- Cookies, Desserts
- 12 large cookies