1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 cup molasses
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup water, warm
Cream Cheese Frosting
4 ounces unsalted butter, softened
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For cupcakes: Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter with powdered sugar on low speed. Add molasses, egg, and egg yolk. Add flour mixture, and stir until just combined.
- Dissolve baking soda in warm water. On a low speed, mix the warm water mixture into the batter.
- Fill cupcakes liners 3/4 full. Bake at 350ºF for 18 to 20 minutes or until cupcakes bounce back when touched.
- For cream cheese frosting: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat together butter and cream cheese on medium-high speed. With mixer on low speed, add powdered sugar a cup at a time until smooth and creamy. Beat in vanilla extract.
- To assemble: Use an offset spatula to ice cupcakes. Decorate with sprinkles and seasonal candy, optional.
- Cupcakes, Desserts
- North American
- Makes 12 cupcakes