Don't be afraid to add whatever you like to the salad itself. Sometimes I'll throw in beets or cherry tomatoes for a pop of color and flavor.
From Camilla Salem, YumSugar
Green Salad With Red Wine Vinaigrette
1 garlic clove
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
5 tablespoons canola oil
4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 head of red leaf lettuce (or red butter lettuce)
1/2 white onion, thinly sliced
- With the side of your knife, smash your clove of garlic and remove the peel. Place it in a small bowl.
- Add salt, pepper, olive oil, canola oil, and vinegar to the bowl.
- Whisk together with a small whisk or a fork, making sure to beat up the garlic a bit to bring out its great flavor. Set aside.
- Wash and dry lettuce and rip apart into smaller pieces with your hands. Toss into a large salad bowl.
- Halve the avocado, remove the pit, and dice it up. Add to salad bowl along with thinly sliced white onions.
- Whisk dressing once more, throw away the garlic glove, and pour over salad. Toss well and serve immediately.