Your suggestions were inspiring! Provolone, bacon, tomato, red onion, and avocado. Sautéed onions, swiss, and bacon. Brie, avocado, and green apple. Artichokes, cheese, and tomato chutney. While they all sounded scrumptious, in the end, I went with caramelized shallots, sun-dried tomatoes, and three types of cheese.
The resulting sandwich was amazing. It came together quickly and was incredibly satisfying. To check out the recipe, which is totally adaptable (use whatever ingredients you want/have on hand to make your own ultimate turkey melt!), keep reading.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 shallot, thinly sliced
Pinch of sugar
Butter, for spreading
2 slices of white bread
1/4 cup finely grated gouda cheese
5 thin slices pepper turkey
3 sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil, patted dry, and finely chopped
1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
1 heaping tablespoon crumbled goat cheese
Freshly ground black pepper
- In a small skillet, heat the oil over medium-low heat. When it's hot, add the shallots and pinch of sugar. Saute, being careful not to burn the shallots, for 7-9 minutes until they are limp, caramelized, and fragrant.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sandwich. Spread each slice of bread with a generous amount of butter and place the bread on a work surface, buttered side down.
- Top one of the bread slices with the gouda cheese, turkey, and sun-dried tomatoes. Place the caramelized shallots on top of the sun-dried tomatoes and top with the parmesan cheese and goat cheese. Season with freshly ground black pepper. Cover with the second slice of bread, buttered side out.
- Heat the skillet over medium-low heat. Place the sandwich in the skillet. Cover the skillet with a lid and cook, slowly for 4-5 minutes until the bottom is golden brown and crispy.
- Flip the sandwich and cook on the other side, slowly again for another 4-5 minutes. The outside should be crispy and the inside should have gooey cheese and warm turkey.
- Remove the sandwich from the pan and let sit on a cutting board for a minute. Slice in half on the diagonal and enjoy immediately.
- Main Dishes, Sandwiches
- North American