For stars like Gwen Stefani, Kate Moss, Joan Smalls, and Nicole Richie, a typical night out involves dressing up — but on Halloween, the term takes on a whole different meaning! Trading their couture garb for costume drama, some of fashion's most famous faces were nearly unrecognizable beneath ghostly makeup and ornate designs. See the dramatic looks that shocked, wowed, and inspired us for next year.
Kate Hudson got in touch with her inner hippie when she went trick-or-treating in LA on Halloween with her young son Bingham. The actress wore a boho-chic ensemble complete with peace-sign face paint as she mingled with other parents while holding Bing. Ever the eco-conscious star, Kate collected her candy in an old Lululemon shopping bag. Over the weekend, Kate had a bit of adult Halloween fun when she hosted a Game of Thrones-themed party at her home in LA. Kate reportedly dressed up as Ygritte while her fiancé, Matthew Bellamy, portrayed Jon Snow. Guests at her party included Josh Duhamel, Fergie, Bradley Cooper, and her mother, Goldie Hawn.
Kate wasn't the only star who went trick-or-treating this year. Everyone from Ben Affleck to Helena Bonham Carter got in the spooky spirit — check out stars taking their kids trick-or-treating for Halloween!
Even the healthiest among us can't help but get into the Halloween fun, and while everything's good in moderation, sometimes a night of temptation means going overboard (no regrets!). Whether you've snacked on trick-or-treating leftovers too much or are still recovering from the weekend, here are some ideas to detox and get back on track.
- Drink more water: Make water consumption a priority the day after your Halloween festivities; not only will it help flush out all those indulgent decisions (that is, it'll help your hangover), but it'll give you more energy to tackle the day.
- Break the sugar addiction: Eating a lot of sugar will only make you crave it more, so your night of fun-sized celebration may be leading to mindless reaching for your candy stash the rest of the week. Ready for a challenge? If you're craving sweets, take celebrity trainer Jackie Warner's advice: take five days to wean yourself off sugar and refined carbs by eating lots of fresh fruits and veggies instead. If forgoing sugar altogether seems impossible (especially in light of leftover holiday treats), check out our tips for reducing your sugar cravings.
- Fight fatigue: Whether you hosted a Halloween party or spent an exhausting couple of hours corralling trick-or-treaters, the holiday can eat into your sleep time. To make sure you don't feel tired all day, fill your diet with these fatigue-fighting foods, and make a point to go to sleep early tonight — you may benefit from recovery sleep so you don't feel overly tired for the rest of the week.
- Eat nourishing foods: You've had enough of the processed stuff — now it's time to eat real food. Start with a nutrient-packed smoothie, go for a kale salad for lunch, and a spicy carrot detox ginger soup for dinner. Eating a produce-rich meal plan today will help your body crave the good instead of all the bad.
- Move more: Get your metabolism going — and sweat out all the bad stuff — with an intense workout; if you can't bear the thought of exercise, go for a walk or do a few of these detoxifying yoga poses to get things moving.
Heidi Klum is the queen of Halloween, with elaborate costumes ranging from characters like Betty Boop and Cleopatra to an artistically painted-on view of the human muscular system, not to mention a full-on monkey. But this year, she opted to look into the future for her costume and went as herself . . . aged about 50 years! See her newest costume and get some serious Halloween inspiration for next year with a look back at Heidi's epic take on Halloween.
Klum worked with makeup artists Bill Corso and Mike Marino, as well as Andy Clement from Creative Character Engineering, to make and apply a series of prosthetics that made her look more than twice her age. The team even gave her varicose veins on her legs and age spots along her hands and arms. We also got a sense of how the supermodel will be dressing when she hits 100: a conservative houndstooth skirt suit, pearls, low heels, and a cane completed the look.
Of course, that's not Klum's only crazy costume: she's been everything from a purple and red robot to the forbidden fruit from the Garden of Eden. A look at this year's costume, plus some of her Halloween ensembles from years past, here in the gallery.
— Additional reporting by Justin Fenner
There's never a dull moment during Halloween! Gisele Bündchen and Tom Brady were inspired by The Wizard of Oz, channeling Dorothy and the Cowardly Lion at a private event, and Heidi Klum was almost unrecognizable as an old woman. Meanwhile, Miley Cyrus channeled Lil' Kim, Demi Lovato wasn't afraid to get a little bloody and creepy, and Julianne Hough's Orange Is the New Black costume stirred up quite a bit of controversy. Take a look at all the stars who were out in full costumed force this year!
Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner took their whole family out for a trick-or-treating excursion for Halloween yesterday. The couple's eldest daughter, Violet, dressed up as a mummy, while Seraphina went for a Madeline costume. Meanwhile, little Samuel wore an adorable horse disguise. The couple walked with their children and a group of friends through a Brentwood neighborhood, and Violet showed off her candy haul to her dad.
Jennifer and Ben did not dress up in costumes this year, probably because of their Halloween debacle from 2012. Jennifer went on the Ellen show earlier this week to call out her husband for ditching her when the whole family decided to dress up in a Wizard of Oz theme. Jennifer wore a Glinda the Good Witch costume while Ben donned a Tin Man outfit, but the actor-director decided to take off his outfit when he noticed that no other adults were dressed up.
Friends Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy eschewed the "sexy" Halloween costumes this year in favor of some hilarious matching ensembles. The two actresses dressed up as fishermen, complete with giant yellow coats, hats, and long gray beards. Sandra and Melissa put their costumes on display when they took their children out trick-or-treating in LA last night. Sandra's son, Louis, dressed up as a bat skeleton while one of Melissa's little ones coordinated with a batgirl disguise.
Sandra and Melissa became close friends when they met on the set of their female buddy-cop movie, The Heat. Last year, the two took their families to Disneyland for a pre-Christmas treat. Sandra and Melissa aren't the only stars who got into the Halloween spirit, check out all the stars who dressed up for Halloween this year.
There's no denying it — Halloween inspired many of our October recipes. However, the runners up had to be pumpkin, other edible gourds, and Fall spices. This slideshow contains all of our October recipes. We hope it inspires you to get cooking this Autumn!
Jump ahead to:
Happy Halloween! The holiday provides a chance for celebrities to put on their costumes, and once in a while, those getups are actually the guises of other well-known stars. Miley Cyrus's MTV Video Music Awards performance has been a hit this year, with both Paris Hilton and Crystal Harris putting their spin on the queen of twerking's controversial look. Meanwhile, Matt Lauer went for a Pamela Anderson look on the Today show this year, Miley channeled Lil' Kim, and Chord Overstreet looked like an exact replica of Charlie Hunnam from Sons of Anarchy. Click through to see all the celebrities dressed as celebs on Halloween over the years!