flour, for sprinkling
1 sheet of puff pastry, thawed
3 heaping teaspoons dijon mustard
12 slices good quality ham
1 cup grated gruyere cheese
salt and freshly ground pepper
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the puff pastry until it's thin and about 15 inches wide.
- Spread the mustard liberally across the top of the puff pastry leaving a one-inch border on all sides.
- Top with the ham slices and sprinkle evenly with cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Starting with the end closest to you, carefully roll the puff pastry up over the ham and cheese to create a pinwheel.
- Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least half an hour and up to one day.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Alternately, spray with cooking spray or rub with oil.
- Remove the plastic wrap from the pinwheels and slice with a sharp knife into 1/4-inch slices. Place each slice on its side on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until crisp and golden. Enjoy immediately.
Makes about 30 pinwheels.
- Appetizers, Puff Pastry