Inspired by the success of YumSugar's mango mojito, I decided to experiment with my own cherry variation. It was wonderfully delicious and everything you expect a good mojito to be: refreshing, light, and not to sweet. The key is to use fresh squeezed lime juice and perfectly ripe berries. The recipe makes enough for a crowd, so this cocktail is excellent for Summer entertaining. I highly recommend that you take a look at the recipe, please read more.
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups fresh lime juice (about 9 limes)
3 pounds dark cherries, such as Bing or Burlat, pitted
2 1/4 cups best-quality black cherry or plain vodka*
1 (750 ml) bottle sparkling water
- Bring sugar and 1 1/4 cups water to a boil in a small saucepan, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat; let cool completely. (Makes about 2 cups syrup.) Syrup can be refrigerated in an airtight container up to 1 month.
- Put lime juice into a medium nonreactive bowl. Halve 2/3 of the cherries; add all cherries to lime juice. Stir in syrup. Refrigerate at least 1 hour (up to overnight).
- Stir cherry mixture and vodka in a large serving bowl.
- Fill 12 glasses with ice. Spoon 1/2 cup cherry-vodka mixture into each glass.
- Top with sparkling water; serve immediately.
*I used plain vodka.
- Cocktails, Drinks
- North American