The fourth challenge of our Get Fit For 2011 giveaway is to share a healthy recipe. And to inspire you we hooked up with Ann Gentry, founder of the organic vegan LA-based eatery Real Food Daily. She's sharing her recipe for buckwheat salad with a tasty oil-free sesame dressing. Take a cooking lesson and watch the video!
Click here to see the recipes in print.
1 3/4 cups water
1 cup buckwheat groats
1/2 teaspoon fine-grained sea salt
2 small Persian cucumbers, quartered lengthwise, then diced into 1/8-inch thick pieces
4 radishes, quartered, then thinly diced
1/2 cup sauerkraut, drained, chopped roughly
Sweet Mustard Tempeh*
*This recipe calls for Sweet Mustard Tempeh, but you can also try Maple Tempeh Bacon or Tamari Pan-Roasted Pepitas.
- To make the salad, bring the water to a boil over high heat. Add the buckwheat and salt and return to a boil. Then, cover and simmer over medium-low heat until all the water is absorbed and the buckwheat is tender, about 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork, then transfer the buckwheat to a baking sheet to cool.
- Add cucumbers, radishes, and sauerkraut to cooled buckwheat. Stir to combine.
- Put on plates and garnish with tempeh.
- Drizzle sesame sauce over each plate, and serve.
Makes four to six servings.
1/3 cup sesame seeds
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons mirin
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon umeboshi vinegar (a Japanese product made from pickled plums and sea salt)
2 teaspoons tamari
- First, place the sesame seeds in a sieve and rinse them under cold running water. Set aside to drain well.
- Blend the water, mirin, vinegars, and tamari in a blender until well blended.
- Add the sesame seeds and pulse just until the seeds break up but are still visible. Use as desired.
Be sure to look for Ann's new cookbook, Vegan Family Meals, which comes out in early Spring!
It's healthy recipe week in our Get Fit For 2011 challenge and giveaway. Be sure to post your fave healthy recipe in our Get Fit group to enter our weekly giveaway of a $100 Nike gift card and a chance to win our grand prize — a four-day fitness boot camp in LA!