Dry ice creates a most spectacular fog for your carved pumpkins and Halloween punches; however, if handled improperly or ingested, it can cause severe burns both externally and internally. Avoid frostbite accidents by following these dos and don'ts, so you can safely achieve the heavy fog effect.
- Don't touch the dry ice with bare hands! You've probably witnessed doctors using dry ice to burn off warts. Do use tongs to transfer the blocks of dry ice.
- Don't set the dry ice in anything made of glass, which has the possibility of shattering from the cold dry ice. Do use plastic bowls and cauldrons. Set the plastic bowl on a wooden cutting board so the dry ice does not destroy the surface underneath.
- Don't place the dry ice directly into the punch bowl or cocktail glasses, because it increases the risk of someone getting a piece in their mouth or swallowing it. Do place a smaller punch bowl inside a larger punch bowl. Then disperse the dry ice around the outside of the punch bowl.
- Don't use cold water to activate your fog. Do pour a little warm water over the dry ice cubes to trigger the thick fog.
- Don't try to break down ice pieces with a knife or a hammer. Do buy the size of dry ice that you plan to use from the very beginning.
- Don't inhale the vapor of your dry ice or set the dry ice in a confined area; it's made of carbon dioxide and can cause asphyxiation. Do place the dry ice in a well-ventilated area.
- Don't try to dispose of dry ice until it has released all its vapors. Do leave the dry ice in its vessel until the fog stops, signaling it has released its gases.
Have you ever used dry ice to add more effect to your Halloween party spread?