While downing green drinks or beer cocktails is a fun way to celebrate St. Patrick's Day, sipping a fine, Irish whiskey is a low-key way to mark the occasion. Like wine, there is a special technique to enjoy the potent caramel-colored spirit.
- Make sure the whiskey is at room temperature. Pour into a clear glass with a narrow mouth and wide bottom.
- Examine the color of the liquid. The darker the whiskey, the longer it has been aged.
- Warm the glass with your hands and smell the whiskey's aroma. Note any fruit, spice, or other flavors, like butterscotch.
- Before tasting, add a tiny bit of water to dilute the concentrated spirit. You will be able to better taste the whiskey without a harsh burn from the strong alcohol.
- Finally, sip the whiskey like you would a wine, and be aware of its body and flavor.
Do you enjoy whiskey? Have you ever been to a whiskey tasting?