After a holiday weekend of grilling, chances are you've got some leftovers in the fridge. Brisket, ribs, sausages, and steak aren't exactly ideal leftovers; reheating these dishes can dry meat out, or even worse, make it chewy and inedible. But don't discard your barbecued meats just yet — with a little creativity, you can transform it into a delicious new dish.
- Quesadillas! Shred or finely chop chicken drumsticks, and layer it between tortillas with cheese.
- Go to bean town: Add to a pot of simmering beans. Enjoy the beans over rice with hot sauce.
Keep reading for a few budget-friendly suggestions.
- Make a hash. Sauté just-boiled potatoes with onions, peppers, and mushrooms. Throw in the leftover meat, and top with fried eggs.
- Create a new pizza: If the meat was originally cooked with barbecue sauce, use it as a pizza topping. Try pulled pork with taleggio and arugula, or craft your own take on the classic BBQ chicken pizza.
- Raise the steaks with a salad: Toss beef strips with greens and leftover grilled vegetables for a hearty salad.
What do you do with leftover meat?