- Soups/Stews, Cream
2 tablespoons neutral oil, such as canola or grapeseed oil
4-5 medium russet potatoes (1 pound), peeled and roughly chopped
3 large leeks (1 pound), cleaned, and thinly sliced
6 cups vegetable stock (or light chicken stock)
Kosher salt, to taste
1-2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup crème fraiche
1/3 cup minced parsley or chives
- Heat the oil in a large (6+ quart) stockpot or dutch oven, over medium heat. Add the leek and potato. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have begun to soften and brown slightly, about 8-12 minutes (this time will vary greatly depending on the surface area of the bottom of your pot).
- Add the vegetable stock, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 30-40 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Blend until smooth either using an immersion blender, or by carefully transferring to a blender in batches.
- Add the cream, and season to taste with salt (I start with 1 teaspoon and go from there, tasting frequently) and lemon juice.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with a dollop of crème fraiche, and a healthy sprinkling of minced parsley.
- For a more delicately flavored soup, sub in water for the vegetable stock.