Shaved Beet Salad With Balsamic Vinaigrette
1 shallot, finely diced
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 cup blood orange-infused olive oil
1 large golden beet
1 bunch bitter greens*
1/2 head radicchio*
1/2 bunch mizuna*
1 bunch kale*
1/2 cup walnuts
1/4 pound crumbled goat cheese
- Toast walnuts in an 350°F oven for 8 to 10 minutes. Occasionally shake to ensure they don't burn.
- Make the balsamic vinaigrette by combining shallot, parsley, mustard, vinegar and sugar in a large bowl. While whisking constantly, slowly add the olive oil. Once all the oil has been added and the vinaigrette is emulsified, season it with salt and pepper.
- Peel the beet using a sharp knife or a vegetable peeler.
- Using a sharp knife or mandoline, shave it into thin slices.
- Wash and tear the salad greens into bite-size pieces. Toss greens with shaved beets and walnuts in a large salad bowl. Dress with balsamic vinaigrette. Top with crumbled goat cheese.
*Substitute your favorite salad greens, if all are not available.