From The Comfort Table by Katie Lee Joel
Logan County Hamburgers
1 pound ground beef (85 percent lean)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 medium yellow onion, half grated, the other half thinly sliced
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
12 slices white bread
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
12 slices American cheese, optional
- In a medium bowl, combine the beef, egg, grated onion, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix until combined.
- Form into thin patties.
- Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread.
- Heat a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the burgers about 3 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. Drain the grease from the skillet.
- In the same skillet, place six slices of bread, butter side down. Top each with a slice of cheese, if desired, some onions and a burger. Top with remaining slices of cheese, if using, and bread, butter side up.
- Cook each sandwich until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.
- Serve with mustard, ketchup, pickles, or any other desired hamburger toppings.
Makes 6 burgers.