I'm definitely a fan of Valentine's Day, but mostly because I like the excuse to eat chocolate. Besides tasting good, dark chocolate is full of heart-healthy flavonoids (equal to many fruits ), can soothe a cough , increase blood flow , and lower blood pressure .
Spread the love even more this holiday by buying my picks for chocolate that's organic, Fair Trade, or health-inspired, and don't forget to throw in a cute card  — your sweetie will love you even more for it!
- Vosges  chocolatier Katrina Markoff fuses her premium chocolates with things like curry, wasabi, and ginger, but we especially like Vosges because of its yoga and chocolate weekend workshops . Make vegan and gluten-free friends happy with the Vosges vegan truffle collection  ($25) — with ingredients like agave nectar, organic coconut milk, pomegranate, and acai, this collection is sure to be a hit with health conscious friends.
- The handmade Drunken Figs  ($35) from Cocoavino are made with red wine and dark chocolate — talk about antioxidant overload! Chocolate from Cocoavino is organic and Fair Trade certified, made with wind power, and sold in eco-friendly packaging.
- Forget Nestlé Crunch; Dark Quinoa Chocolate bars  ($5) from Alter Eco give you that same crunch except with a tiny burst of protein. Alter Eco sources all of its ingredients from Fair Trade farms and also helps fund community development programs.
To see what other chocolate made the cut, .
- The Belle of the Berries  ($22) box from Lillie Belle Farms is completely organic and made from raspberries, strawberries, and marionberries straight from the Lillie Belle Farm in Oregon.
- If you're looking for pure chocolate without the frills, grab a Kallari chocolate bar  ($6), one of the few organic, Fair Trade, or Rainforest Alliance bars that got good marks from The New York Times . The Kallari story  is unique in that the company is a cooperative of indigenous Kichwa farmers from the Ecuadorian Amazon; the group is made up of cacao farmers, self-taught chocolate makers, and other artisans.