Adapted from Chicken and Egg by Janice Cole
Pavlova With Berries
4 egg whites
Pinch of salt
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup sugar
3/4 pint strawberries, hulled and quartered
1 cup raspberries
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons orange liqueur
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons sugar
- To make the meringue: Preheat the oven to 300°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. With a pencil, draw an 8-inch circle in the center of the parchment paper, using a bowl as a guide. Turn the parchment paper over so the outline of the circle shows through but won't touch the meringue.
- Beat the egg whites with the salt in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until soft peaks form.
- Beat in the cornstarch, lemon juice, and vanilla and continue beating until firm peaks form. With the mixer running, very slowly beat in the sugar (this should take about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes).
- Continue beating until the egg whites are stiff and glossy and the sugar has dissolved.
- Pile the meringue in the center of the parchment circle and spread to the edges of the circle (it will puff and expand as it bakes to about 10 inches in diameter). Gently smooth the top and sides of the meringue.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the meringue is firm on the outside. Slide the meringue and parchment paper onto a wire rack and cool completely. Gently peel off the parchment paper.
- Meanwhile combine the strawberries, sugar, and orange liqueur in a large bowl. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Pour the cream and sugar into a mixing bowl and beat at high speed until soft thick peaks form.
- To assemble, pile the whipped cream over the meringue. Top with the strawberries. Enjoy immediately.
Make ahead: The meringue can be baked up to two days ahead of time and stored in an airtight container, To keep the meringue as crisp as possible, assemble the dessert right before serving.