1 pound pickling (Kirby) cucumbers, each sliced into 4 spears Makes 1 jar of pickles.
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1 tablespoon dried dill weed
6 garlic cloves, smashed
1 1/2 cups distilled white vinegar
1/2 cup ice
1 pound pickling (Kirby) cucumbers, each sliced into 4 spears
Makes 1 jar of pickles.
- First, the pickling cucumbers (I chose Kirby) get salted and drain for an hour.
- Here, I used a spice bag to hold the peppercorns, garlic, and fresh and dried dill weed.
- I infused the vinegar with the spices by bringing both to a boil.
- The best part? The cucumbers only cook for a mere five minutes!
- These are double-dill pickles — they have a dose of fresh as well as dried dill for a stronger flavor.
- These will last in the refrigerator, covered, for up to two weeks...
- ...that is, if they don't get eaten right away.