My sweetheart's favorite weekend mornings begin with a hearty, comforting meal. That's why, when I came across this breakfast pastry, I knew I had to make it. The tart has all the familiar trappings of breakfast (bacon, eggs, flaky pastry) married with gourmet ingredients (crème fraîche, Gruyère) and assembled in an elegant, rustic way. This morning treat was so mouthwatering that we dusted the entire thing off in a matter of minutes. To make it for yourself or a loved one, read more.
1 sheet puff pastry dough
1 egg, lightly beaten with 1 tsp. water
3 oz. crème fraîche
2 oz. shredded Gruyère cheese
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
8 bacon slices, cooked until crisp
10 fresh chives, cut on the bias into 1/2-inch lengths
- Thaw the puff pastry dough according to the package instructions.
- Preheat an oven to 425°F. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- On lightly floured surface, roll out the puff pastry to 1/4-inch thickness and cut into a 10-by-8-inch rectangle. Place the pastry on the prepared baking sheet. Using a paring knife, score a border 1/2 inch in from the edge of the pastry. Using a fork, prick the center of the pastry. Brush the border with the egg wash and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together the crème fraîche and cheese, and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and place it on a level heatproof surface. Using a fork, prick any large air pockets in the pastry. Crack the eggs onto the tart, spacing them 2 inches apart. Bake until the egg whites are set and the yolks are still soft, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer the tart to a platter, garnish with the chives and serve immediately.
Spread the crème fraîche mixture on the pastry, keeping the border clean. Lay the bacon on top, slightly overlapping the slices. Bake the tart for 14 minutes, rotating the baking sheet halfway through baking.
- Breakfast/Brunch, Other
- North American